1. Know Yourself! Identify Your Interests
The first step in your search is to assess your interests.
- What kind of activities, environments and job functions interest you?
- Are you exploring a particular career interest?
- Are there particular companies you would like to intern with?
- What industries are you most interested in?
- In what type of an environment would you feel most comfortable?
- What are your skills? What skills do you wish to develop?
Need more support in exploring your skills and interests? Check out our Professional Identity Assessments
2. Create Your Punch List - Your Internship Requirements
List any requirements you have for your internship.
- Do you need to receive a stipend or salary?
- When do you want to start? How will it balance with your other commitments?
- Need to stay local or able to travel? Transportation needs?
- Would you need an internship that allows you to live at home? Or is there a particular geographic location where you would like to intern?
- Are you limited to a specific time period (i.e., summer) or specific hours?
- Does your academic department have specific internship requirements?
3. Set Your Goals
Once you've assessed both your interests and requirements, it's time to set some concrete goals.
- What kind of internship will help you combine your interests, goals, and requirements?
- What sort of experience do you hope to gain with an internship?
4. Prep Your Internship Search Tools
5. Research and Apply
- Check out company websites and make a list
- Create a profile on UICCareers.com to find external internships
- Visit go.uic.edu/LASinternship for additional ideas of where past students have interned
5. Get Academic Credit
- Want to learn more about how to obtain academic credit during your internship? Watch our On-Demand Webinar for details on the process:
Just Getting Started?
If you need support with resume development, we can also review resources during this appointment in addition to the internship exploration process.
To schedule an appointment, go to student.las.uic.edu
If you have a rough draft of your resume and cover letter, please bring them to your first appointment.
Director, Career Development and Major Exploration
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (MC 228)
601 S. Morgan St., 519 UH
Chicago, IL 60607-7104
(312) 413-8577 Fax