Academic Credit Internships
General LAS Internship Guidelines
- You can begin interning as early as your sophomore year (30 credit hours)
- Transfer students must have one semester of UIC grades posted (12-15 credit hours) to intern
- You must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5/4.0
- You can do one internship per semester
Internship Courses by Departments
Eligibility for credit is dependent on your academic department. Currently the following departments have internship courses. Read the course description in the UIC catalog carefully for pre-requisites, department requirements and restrictions.
Once you accept a position, you should contact your major advisor immediately. You will need your advisor’s permission to register for the appropriate internship course. You will need to provide the employer’s name and address; the immediate supervisor’s name and phone number; the salary (if applicable) and work schedule; and the start and end date of position.
The LAS 289 Internship course is available every fall, spring and summer semesters for elective credit.
- Earn 1-3 credit hours, repeatable to a maximum of 6 credit hours
- All General LAS Internship Guidelines apply
- Subject to approval of the Internship Program Office
- Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading
- Three work-learning objectives will be set by the student and employer
- Mandatory Course attendance is required
- Resume draft and final resume submission
- Monthly reports and a final internship paper must be submitted
- Complete all readings and in-class assignments for class sessions
- Mid-Term and Final assessment is submitted by employer during course and internship
Special Note: While some internships do not qualify for academic credit, they do provide professional work experience and compensation. Be sure to review "Best Practices of Internship Experiences" to determine if an experience can qualify as an appropriate internship.