Examples of Activities Not Permitted or Those Requiring Prior Approval and Potential Management
The following activities represent examples of potential or actual conflicts of commitment or interest. The list is not inclusive and is intended to provide guidance:
- Failing to fully meet University responsibilities (e.g., conducting classes, assisting students outside of class, conducting research, serving on committees) due to involvement in external activities.
- Using University resources to conduct research that is sponsored by an entity in which the academic staff member or his/her family member holds a substantial financial interest.
- Serving in an executive or managerial capacity or holding significant financial interests in for-profit or not-for-profit entities doing business with the University.
- Serving on the board of directors or major advisory committee of an external entity which sponsors the academic staff member's research or provides gift funds for the use of the academic staff member or his/her department.
- Utilizing University students or employees in consulting activities, activities supported by gift funds, and/or research sponsored by an entity in which the academic staff member has financial interests.
- Conducting testing or clinical trials of products, devices, or services owned or controlled by a business in which the academic staff member or a member of his/her family has a financial interest or receives remuneration.
- Diverting research opportunities from the University to another academic institution, federal laboratory, business, or consulting entity.
- Directing purchasing opportunities to a family-owned company or an associated entity.
- Making professional referrals to a business in which an academic staff member or a member of his/her family has a financial interest, while acting in the context of his/her University duties.
- Conducting business activities involving students or staff.
Conflict of interest and conflict of commitment with respect to teaching are explained on the OVCR website.